Friday, October 20, 2006

A pretty kettle of fish

I've had a quiet day in today, just me and my difference engine, and a nice claret breathing sweetly for later, with some cold cuts, I'm told, in the pantry too. Amongst the things that have caught my fancy have been these, which I hope you may find worthy of your perusal.

First of all, in spite of what we may think of our colonial cousins, they sometimes throw up the odd gem. Over at TayTV, I've been enjoying the comments of a Mr Keith Olbermann, who seems to be sparky young fellow, with plenty to say for himself. Throw away your television itself is spiffing too - they have a Top Ten documentaries section, which includes that nice Mr Dawkins's recent televisual treat. And speaking of that nice Mr Dawkins, this is rather good too. TayTV also have Penn and Teller. Nice.

Meanwhile, the moving television beckons tonight, so don't throw it away just yet. QI, of course, continues (with a super performance from Ronni Ancona, doing an impression of my Great-Aunt Georgina. I wonder if she knows her? Uncanny, if she doesn't), but Mr Schama is out tonight too, telling us all about the life and times of Michelangelo Merisi.

You may already know this, but the Complete Works of Charles Darwin are now available for all to view. For free.

On the evolutionary theme, have you heard about this whey-faced loon's barmy idea? Luckily, proper boffins and top scientists are close at hand. Phew.

Speaking of whey-faced loons, here are a few more insults to add to your armoury. Use them well, use them often, but do use them.

Fun with microscopes.

The War against Trevor (unfortunate acronym alert) and The Taxis of Elvis is getting out of hand. These figures, courtesy of Mr Bywater (yes, that Mr Bywater), certainly made me think.

Finally, Leonardo at the V & A. Make sure you see the animations.

No comments: